Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Another tried and true recipe from Smitten Kitchen....that I managed to somehow destroy!
The original recipe can be found here and I'm sure would have been just delicious if I left well enough alone...

Recipe & Revisions
what you need:
  • 1 1/2 cups & 1 tblsp all purpose flour, I have been using unbleached
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, but I'm sure regular salt is ok too!
  • 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
  • 1 cup & 1 tblsp sugar
  • 3 extra large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil, I know what you're thinking a Smitten Kitchen recipe without butter is almost an oxymoron
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed, our local Cosctco now has organic frozen blueberries! Scoop these up for the half the price of Trader Joes or Whole Paycheck!
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice. And here is where I think I made THE big mistake, I think I told the hubs to just squeeze all the juice out of the two lemons we used for zest because I figured I love lemon flavor so more juice can only add to that lemony goodness...umm no, this made the cake way too tart! So be warned don't go overboard no matter how much you think you like lemons.
what you do:
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2 inch loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and grease and flour the pan.
  • Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl and in another whisk the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil.
  • Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
  • In another bowl mix blueberries with the reserved tablespoon of flour and gently fold into the batter...I still don't quite know what "gently fold" means so I pour the blueberries and say "gently gently" as I mix the two together.
  • Pour the batter into your prepped pan and bake for fifty or more minutes until a toothpick placed in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
  • And while that's a bakin'...threw the lemon juice and 1 tblsp sugar into a small pan and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear...I think we really should have increased the amount of sugar we used, we tried to make it proportional to the extra lemon juice we used but clearly we failed.
  • Let the cake cool in the pan for about ten minutes, then let cool on a cooling rack. While the cake is still warm, either poke holes in it with a toothpick or use a pastry brush to add the lemon sugar mixture to the cake, make sure there is something underneath the cake to catch the drippings! Cool and slice up to enjoy. Take outside, put it on a table and take pictures of it before the snow melts. Eat.

No comments: