I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since and even attempted to recreate it in our dutch oven (directly in the oven.) Sadly, ours is enamel and can't be heated over 350 degrees (or something like that, don't quote me, look up manufacturers guidelines) so that attempt didn't turn out so well. But I persevered and stuck our cast iron skillet in the oven instead! The result? Tasty!!!
Recipe & Directions (and Revisions!)
quantities and ingredients depend entirely on personal preference and availability in your kitchen
- start by heating up your cast iron skillet- stick in the oven on 'broil'
- chop up some onion (red, yellow, white- or skip if you hate onion) and throw it in the heated skillet, put the skillet back in the oven (do this after each ingredient is added)
- chop up some bacon (add sausage if you like but don't skimp on the bacon whatever you do, bacon is critical to the success of this operation)
- once the bacon has given you some grease to work with (resist the urge to 'mop up' bacon grease with some bread and eat directly from the skillet) throw in some finely chopped potatoes, I like to use new potatoes to avoid peeling them
- once the potatoes look nice and brown add some eggs (again quantity is negotiable)
- you can either let the eggs settle and then scramble them or let them be for a more omlett-y consistency
- add grated cheese (cheddar is my personal preference)
- add greens (some options here are cilantro, parsley, garlic chives, etc)
- when everything is done serve with salsa (caliente por favor), and some yummy bread