Sunday, January 18, 2009

Metamorphoses

What to do on a cold Friday night in Reno, NV? How about an adaptation of Ovid's Metamorphoses and other assorted Greek myths? Luckily for Stan and I, the run of this play (Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses) had been extended and we got to see it. This was our first time at the Bruka, a local theater enjoying its sixteenth season and going to see the play fulfilled not one, but three of this years resolutions! One, as you already know is to be more spontaneous (and buying tickets only days in advance is spontaneity in my book) and the others are to be more involved with our community and to spend more quality time together. After the play Stan and I headed over to the best martini bar in town- Roxy's at the El Dorado and even danced a bit...which inspired me to promptly sign us up for a refresher dance class (or two.)

However the point of this entry is the title- Metamorphoses. I suspect 2009 will be a big year of change for me and I know a lot of my friends are going through a period of transition in their lives too: getting married, finding new jobs or careers, having (or raising) babies, and dealing with the challenges of a new place, a new space and new directions. I hope that this year will bring with it new opportunities for all of us and that we may be wise and brave enough to take them on.

As for me, I thought long and hard about what who and what I want to be when I grow up and decided it would be best to stay un-grown up a little longer...at least for the rest of the weekend...

No comments: